Fall 2024 – Activity Instructor
Muskoka Woods is a Christian youth development organization that welcomes everyone to an experience for a lifetime. We are located on the shores of beautiful Lake Rosseau and specialize in summer camp, school trips, group retreats and leadership development for all ages. We exist to inspire youth to shape their world.
From September to June, the Schools & Groups program and the Leadership Studio provide life-changing experiences for youth and adults. Throughout the year Muskoka Woods serves more than 25,000 students in grades 6 to 12, numerous corporate groups, and a variety of church retreats.
The primary role of an Activity Instructor is to instruct guests in a variety of sports, adventure activities, arts, nature and team-building programs. Staff are trained in program delivery for up to 25 different activities and are required to run activities for groups of 10 to 20 children at a time. Activity instructors often travel around with their assigned group of guests but can also be assigned to specialize in one area depending on the needs of the group. A typical schedule for Activity Instructors is from 8am to 5pm daily with 1 to 2 evening shifts/week as a team to provide evening program, serve snack, cover the office and work in the Camp Store. All instructors also assist with dish shifts and occasional work projects.
Staff are required to attend all meetings as outlined during staff training including Cadence and Small Group.
**Please note: All positions are required to work in other areas including program, washing dishes, housekeeping, grounds keeping and snow removal, and office coverage.
Skills and Attributes Required
Muskoka Woods is looking for staff whose personal values match the MW Core Values which includes having a passion for working with children and youth.
Activity instructor applicants must be able to facilitate and instruct a variety of activities as well as manage group dynamics, build relationships and create a safe yet fun activity experience. Staff must be able to manage their time well, have excellent attention to detail, and be wise in decision making. Staff must be supportive, patient, energetic and have good communication and interpersonal skills with children and youth. Previous experience in athletics and with children and youth is preferred.
Please note that Instructor applicants MUST be 18 years old before the beginning of the contract dates in order to complete the High Ropes Training.
$220.00 per week plus room and board
Saturday Aug 24th - Sunday November 24th 2024
Essential Functions Required
- Be able to assist guests and staff in an emergency
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of guests and/or staff
- Have the ability to accompany guests across camp
- Ability to participate in activities for 6 to 8 hours a day
- Be able to lead small and large group activities
- Have the ability to verbally communicate well in person and on the phone with staff and guests
- Ability to participate in work projects – lifting and carrying between 10 – 30 lbs
- All staff are required to uphold the Muskoka Woods Vision and Mission, Core Values and Aspirations, as well as all policy and procedures as outlined during our Staff Development Week held at the beginning of your contract.
- All Counsellors stay in a cabin with our guests. All other staff stay in shared staff accommodation.
Apply now via Muskoka Woods' online application process. You'll need to create an account (or use a previously created one) and apply online.