International Applicants

Immigration papers/documents are needed in order to work and earn money in Canada.

Your options are:

  1. International Experience Canada Program (IEC) (working holiday work permit):

This work permit is appropriate for applicants who wish to stay in Canada for 1 – 2 years and work for multiple employers anywhere within Canada. The IEC process requires filling out an online profile which then goes into a “pool”. According to their website the wait can be days, weeks or months. If successful, you will then receive an acceptance notice and further paperwork. Biometrics (fingerprints) are required. You do not need a “job offer” from Muskoka Woods or any other paperwork in order to apply for an IEC. You should consider applying for this work permit as early as possible since the wait can be lengthy. The cost for the IEC work permit is approximately $160.00 CDN, plus an IEC processing fee.

  1. Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment – International Mobility Program – Unique work situations:

This work permit is available for anyone applying for a position at Muskoka Woods for the spring, summer and/or fall months. You would not be allowed to work for any other employer while on this work permit. Biometrics (fingerprints) are required. Muskoka Woods will provide all paperwork needed for you to apply either online or at Port of Entry (Toronto airport). Preparation time is required, so do not delay in submitting your Muskoka Woods application. This work permit is free.

Payroll Policy:

Once hired, international staff will be considered employees and must obtain a Social Insurance Number (once you have arrived in Canada) in order to be paid.

Once you have signed your contract, you will also be required to complete a TD1 form for tax purposes.

As an employee of Muskoka Woods you will receive remuneration in Canadian dollars. In order to receive this payment, you will need either a Canadian bank account OR a money exchange account that provides Canadian bank details.

Muskoka Woods highly encourages and endorses a WISE account that allows you to bank internationally with ease and very low fees.

Please note that:

  • The TD1 form questions are included in the onboarding section of your online profile.
  • The Social Insurance Number can be obtained at the airport or will be arranged by Muskoka Woods.
  • International staff will be subject to tax deductions. The amount is dependent on your own personal employment situation. For more detailed information, continue to this link – non-resident Canada tax laws.

Medical Insurance:

If an employee is injured while “on the job”, the cost of the injuries could be covered under WSIB (Workplace Safety &  Insurance Board), subject to approval. However, if he/she is injured while not working, or if an international staff member becomes ill and requires a visit to the hospital (including any surgeries, dental emergencies and prescriptions) any expenses incurred would not be covered. We require all International staff to obtain personal medical/travel insurance for the duration of their stay in Canada and upload proof of coverage in their onboarding.  Please ensure that your insurance provider covers all Covid-19 related illnesses.

Manulife is a company many staff have used, however, employees may source their own.

*Please note: Individuals staying longer than 6 months with a valid work permit may apply for an Ontario Health Card after working and living in Ontario for 6 months.

Traveling while in Canada:

As long as you are on a valid work permit, you may travel before and after your contract as long as you are not earning money while in Canada and you have the Electronic Travel Authorization (which you would apply for before you travel). Regulations may vary due to your citizenship — be sure to check the rules specific to you.

Driving while in Canada:

Out of province or out of country driver’s licenses are only valid for 90 days after entering Ontario. After 90 days, your license is considered expired. Anyone with an expired license will not be allowed to drive a Muskoka Woods vehicle, purchase a vehicle while in Canada or legally be permitted to drive a friend’s car.

If you are planning to stay in Ontario longer than 90 days and want to drive, we recommend that you obtain an International Driving Permit that allows you to drive up to 1 year while in Ontario. It’s important to note, you cannot obtain the IDP in Ontario, you must get it in the county/province that your license was issued in.

For more detailed information, continue to this link – Ontario Drivers License.

Get to know your rights while working in Canada:

It is important to us that you know your rights as an international staff member on a work permit.  Please take a moment to read this government issued pamphlet.

Get to know your rights while working in Canada

Apprenez quels sont vos droits en tant que travailleur au Canada:

Il est important pour nous que vous connaissiez vos droits en tant que membre du personnel international titulaire d’un permis de travail. Veuillez prendre quelques instants pour lire cette brochure publiée par le gouvernement.

Apprenez quels sont vos droits en tant que travailleur au Canada

Are you ready to apply?  

Now that you know a little bit about work permits, pay, traveling and medical insurance, we’re hoping you will consider working at Muskoka Woods. Click here to apply!

Why not consider multi-season employment?  Muskoka Woods is a great place to spend your gap year!  Apply now to spend one, two, three or four seasons at Muskoka Woods!

For more information, please refer to our FAQ’s or feel free to contact Diane Huff at