Counsellor – Venture
Muskoka Woods is a Christian youth development organization that welcomes everyone to an experience for a lifetime. We are located on the shores of beautiful Lake Rosseau and specialize in summer camp, school trips, group retreats and leadership development for all ages. We exist to inspire youth to shape their world.
The Program department has the overall responsibility of our guests and supervises them in their cabins, at meal times, during free time and in evening programs.
A Venture Counsellor’s primary responsibility within this department is the safety of our guests ages 9 to 10 years old. Counsellors also provide a caring and supportive cabin environment to learn, reflect, make new friends and of course have FUN! Counsellors stay in cabins with the guests, eat all meals with their cabin group, participate in evening programs as well as facilitate small group Cabin Chat conversations with the guests in their cabin. Important Note – Counsellors may be moved to other age sections throughout the summer due to customer demand. This will be determined week to week and is up to the discretion of the Manager of Summer Programs.
Staff are required to attend all meetings as outlined during staff training including Cadence and Small Group.
COVID – 19: Due to our congregant living setting and work with children and youth, all cabin counsellors are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date. Staff are also required to abide by all COVID-19 standard operating procedures including enhanced cleaning and sanitation protocols within their department, in assigned areas outside of their department, and in all community living/gathering spaces.
Skills and Attributes Required
Muskoka Woods is looking for staff whose personal values match the MW Core Values which includes having a passion for working with children and youth.
Counsellors must be able to facilitate cabin discussions, manage group dynamics, build relationships and create a safe yet fun cabin culture. Staff must be able to manage their time well, have excellent attention to detail, and be wise in decision making. Staff must be supportive, patient, energetic and have good communication and interpersonal skills with adults and children. Previous experience with children and/or youth is preferred.
$120 - $150 per week plus room and board
June 24 - September 2, 2022
- Be able to assist guests and staff in an emergency
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of guests and/or staff
- Have the ability to accompany guests across camp
- Ability to participate in and lead small and large group activities throughout the day
- Have the ability to communicate well in person and on the phone.
- All staff are required to uphold the Muskoka Woods Vision and Mission, Core Values and Aspirations, as well as all policy and procedures as outlined during our Staff Development Week held at the beginning of your contract.
- All Counsellors stay in a cabin with our guests. All other staff stay in shared staff accommodation.
Apply now via Muskoka Woods' online application process. You'll need to create an account (or use a previously created one) and apply online.