Food Services Manager
Muskoka Woods is a Christian youth development organization that welcomes everyone to an experience for a lifetime. We are located on the shores of beautiful Lake Rosseau and specialize in summer camp, school trips, group retreats and leadership development for all ages. We exist to inspire youth to shape their world.
The Manager of Food Service is responsible for assuring attentive, friendly, courteous, and efficient food service to all staff and guests groups while maintaining adherence to budgeted payroll and overhead costs. This position is responsible for directing and organizing the activities of the Baking, Culinary and Food Service Team to ensure a consistently high-quality food product while at the same time developing his/her team and driving a positive work environment. The Food Services Manager is charged with consistently improving guest and employee satisfaction.
Key Job Functions
Develop and maintain food service goals
- Establish challenging, realistic and attainable goals to guide operation and performance.
- Develop meal plan, recipes and standard operating procedures to produce “fresh, flavourful and fun” food and experience for all meals and desserts.
- Organize, direct & supervise the preparation/delivery of all food according to standardized recipes while maintaining the highest standards
- Ensure the cleanliness, sanitation and safety of the kitchens service stations, FOH & BOH work and storage areas while minimizing waste and maximizing cost/production ratio.
- Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of food and beverage equipment and renovations
Develop and maintain budget
- In conjunction with the Purchasing Manager, create, monitor and be accountable for a 12 month budget for food, supplies, chemicals, paper and equipment.
- Order and purchase equipment, supplies, and food items.
- Works with Baking, Culinary and Food Service Team to determine areas of concern and develops strategies to improve the department’s financial performance
Lead Baking, Culinary and Food Service Team
- Lead, manage and hold the team accountable for successful delivery of all food preparation and service.
- Establish standard operating procedures, processes and team behaviours ensuring that they are clear, understood & followed by all.
- Oversee scheduling of all departments (Baking, Culinary, Food Service)
- Hold weekly Level 10 Team meetings, one to ones with direct reports and conduct regular performance reviews.
- Plan and support quarterly training of all seasonal staff
- Mentor and coach direct reports and ensure team are participating in and support all leadership develop activities held by the company
Ensure exceptional customer service
- Uphold, develop and execute the SDSD Customer Service Standards
- Innovate kitchen & dining room design to improve safety, comfort, efficiency & aesthetics.
- Interface with Program Team and guest groups in order to make sure all food service delivery details are understood and agreed upon prior to group arrival.
- Research and implement current dining trends with the goal of staying ahead of our guests expectations.
- Assess customer survey feedback and make adjustments and recommendations accordingly
- Strive to improve service performance.
- Participate in meetings as needed.
- Participate in corporate events including weekly Huddles, Town Hall, Annual Retreat, Arboretum, and leadership meetings
- Personal and professional development
- Other requests as outlined by the Director of Resort Operations
Skills and Attributes required:
- Customer service mindset for children, youth and adults.
- Proven ability to assemble, lead, motivate and retain a dynamic team
- Strong people and time management skills
- Strong planning, organizing and administration skills.
- Maintain a professional working relationship and promote open lines of communication with managers and employees and all other departments.
- Ability to develop relationships with other departments and work within the larger team of Muskoka Woods
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Must be an effective problem solver with an ability to anticipate, identify and solve challenges while maintaining composure in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work with and understand financial information. Have the capacity to analyze & forecast data in order to predict food quantities while minimizing waste.
- Proficient in Windows operating systems, company approved spreadsheets and word processing. Competent in learning online ordering systems.
- Hold and maintain applicable certification requirements. ( Food Handlers,CPR and First Aid)
- Personal values that match Muskoka Woods’ Core Values and Core Leaves
- Candidates should have either:
- 10 years of progressive experience in a resort, camp or a related field.
- 2-year college degree and 7 or more years of related experience or a 4-year college degree and at least 4 years of related experience.
- Culinary Degree with 5 years of progressive experience in a resort, camp or related field.
- Extensive experience in restaurant, banquet, catering, in room dining and kitchen management required.
- Ability to lift and move 10 to 40lbs
- Able to stand, walk and work for 6 to 8 hours
- Possess physical and mental strength and endurance to maintain constant supervision of staff
- Ability to communicate, both written and verbal, with guests and staff.